Before an app can be published, a release version must be created in Purple DS Manager. This process creates the files that you can then save and upload to the Apple App Store or Google Play Store.
Creating a release app is one of the last steps before a submit. It requires various information that is not required for a preview app.
How to add this information is explained in theses articles:
- Android: Final configuration of your Android App in Purple DS Manager
- iOS: Final configuration of your iOS App in Purple DS Manager
The following steps will describe, how to create a release App in Purple DS Manager. Starting point is the Overview page of your App.
- Click on the Build App button.
- In the following dialog first select whether you wish to build a preview app or a release app (2.1).
- If you are building a release app, you first need to specify the platforms for which it is intended to be built (2.2). T his selection depends on the settings in the basic settings under "Select the target platforms for your app."
- For the release version, you must enter the appropriate version number for the App Store, Google Play, and Amazon Store (2.3).
Note: These numbers may be alinged with the numbers in Purple DS Manager. You can use the options New minor version and New major version. In case you don't want this e.g. if you move your app to Purple DS and already use a different versioning, you can overwrite the version number with Overwrite / set version and set a number.
Please note that the previous release version of the app will be overwritten.
- Finally, click on Build to begin building the new app version. It lasts a few minutes. Afterward, you can download the new version to publish it in an app store.
NOTE: A release app cannot be installed directly on your device as it is intended for distribution via an App Store.
For Apple, you can use the tool TestFlight to install and test this version.
Android offers a pre-release as a beta test app.
If you want to install an existing preview version of the app after building a release app, you can do this via the QR code. After resolving the link in the QR code, a browser window opens. Below the platform logo, you can see the last built app version. This is offered as the standard download.
Below is a link to other versions you have already built in Purple DS Manager.
Click on Other versions (step 1) to open a pop-up and display the other available versions.
Select the preview version (step 2). This is then easily installed on the device.